This ethereal-looking curved structure dates from the early 19th Century. A Grade II* listed building the greenhouse resembles the designs of Sir George Mackenzie of Edinburgh and John Claudius Louden, the famous gardening expert of the period, whose pioneering works were amongst the first to see the importance of curved greenhouses as a means of achieving maximum light.
Recent research has revealed that the greenhouse was originally situated in the grounds of Bretton Hall in Yorkshire. In 1832 after seeing it for sale in an auction catalogue, Sir Moses purchased it, had it dismantled, transported and re-erected in his Estate grounds.
Roman numerals which are etched on the York stone that forms the walkway and shelving were used as a guide to enable the greenhouse to be re-assembled. Constructed of cast iron curving ribs and brass/alloy bars, the greenhouse is covered with fish scale glass panes, which become smaller towards the top. The structure is supported on cast iron columns. Vines grow both in and outside of the greenhouse.
Access to the greenhouse and park is from either Montefiore Avenue or on the sea-side from Victoria Parade. It is 50 metres away from the Montefiore Avenue entrance to the park. From Victoria Parade it is a 5 minute stroll up across the park.
East Cliff Lodge remained in the Montefiore family until 1935. When Mrs Arthur Sebag Montefiore finally put the estate on the market, after the untimely death of her husband in a flying accident at nearby Manston. At this point the house was bought by a private company, for use as a country club.
During the second World War soldiers were billeted there. Later Thanet District Council acquired the property and sadly in 1954 it was demolished and King George VI Memorial Park was created in the grounds.
The Stable Block & Glasshouse are owned by Philip & Janice Dadds.